New York City’s rooftop bars aren’t the only place in the city to catch stunning skyline views. Grand Banks Oyster Bar not only offers spectacular waterfront views but is one of Manhattan’s most unique dining venues. This award winning oyster bar is located on the Sherman Zwicker, a 75 year old historic schooner docked on the Hudson River. Grand Banks is a nod to the floating oyster barges that typically lined the city’s waterfront during the 18th and 19th centuries. Patrons can dine on fresh sustainably harvested oysters and tasty seafood menu options while sipping on one of Grand Banks’ nautical cocktails. Guests can take in the breathtaking views of the Hudson River and New York Harbor with the added delight of watching the sunset while dining.
The historic Sherman Zwicker schooner was hand built in 1942 and is considered one of the last original salt bank fishing vessels to exist today. This award winning oyster bar was named Best Waterfront Restaurant in NYC by New York Magazine, Best Oyster Bar by The New Yorker plus several other note-worthy achievements.
This Tribeca eatery is located on Pier 25 on Hudson River Park. This floating establishment is known for their soft shell crabs, award winning lobster rolls and, of course, a variety of oysters. Their oyster selection includes Navy Point from Long Island Sound, Big Rock from Cape Cod and Kusshi from Baynes Sound, British Columbia. They offer a variety of small plates which includes Ceviche in addition to several mains and speciality dishes.
The cocktail menu at Grand Banks NYC has been featured on the pages of The New York Times. Each refreshing cocktail mixed at Grand Banks is prepared using only freshly squeezed juices from locally sourced produce. Patrons can enjoy craft beer, a variety of bubbly champagne choices and a wide selection of seasonal wines.
Tips Before Visiting:
- Grand Banks NYC is primarily a walk in establishment (bookings are accepted for parties of 8 or more)
- The restaurant is busiest after 5pm, every Saturday nights and when the weather is ideal
- Grand Banks may need to close due to inclement weather and when possible will open up again when the weather clears. Should the restaurant need to close unexpectedly a notice will be posted on the website.
- Grand Banks is a seasonal restaurant and is open late April to October weather permitting.
• The Sherman Zwicker is no longer used as a sailboat and remain docked at all times.
For info on all of the Michelin star restaurants in New York, check out our guide.